1C. unsalted butter, softened
15 oz. whole milk ricotta cheese
3 Tbs. lemon juice
1 lemon, zested
2 1/2 C. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
6 Tbs. unsalted butter
3 C. powdered sugar
3 Tbs. lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon zest
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine butter and sugar in bowl; cream together until light and fluffy. Add eggs, ricotta, lemon juice and lemon zest. Blend well. Add 1 C. flour, baking powder and salt. Blend to combine. Add remaining flour and blend well. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Drop by rounded tablespooon onto sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes. Let cookies rest on baking sheet. When cool, glaze.
Note: Meyer lemons and juice are preferable, if available.
Makes 6 dozen
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
- 1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 ounces (5 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 3/4 teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- 8 large candy canes or 30 peppermint candies, crushed
- 2 pounds white chocolate, coarsely chopped
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Sift flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Beat butter and sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed for 1 minute. Reduce speed to medium-low, and add egg, then yolk, beating well after each addition. Beat in peppermint extract. Slowly add flour mixture, and beat until just incorporated. Shape dough into 2 disks, wrap each in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, at least 1 hour (or up to 2 days).
- Roll out 1 disk of dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Freeze until firm, about 15 minutes. Using a 2-inch round cutter, cut out circles, and place 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Roll and cut scraps once. Freeze cookies until firm, about 15 minutes. Repeat with remaining disk.
- Bake until cookies are dry to the touch, about 12 minutes. Transfer parchment, with cookies, to wire racks, and let cool. (Undecorated cookies will keep, covered, for up to 3 days.)
- Sift crushed candy, and separate larger pieces from dust, reserving both. Melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water. Remove from heat. Dunk cookies into melted chocolate. Using a fork, turn to coat, let excess drip off, and gently scrape bottom against edge of bowl. Place on parchment-lined baking sheets, and sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of either candy pieces or dust on top. Repeat, sprinkling half the cookies with pieces and the rest with dust. Refrigerate until set, up to 3 hours. Decorated cookies are best served the same day.